Thursday, June 17, 2010

Morals VS Money...You've just been laid off...?

You%26#039;ve been %26#039;laid off%26#039; from a great job and there%26#039;s no work in sight. You%26#039;ve exhausted all your resources and unemployment is giving you a hassle about your claim. You have the usual debts, mortgage, cars, credit cards, spouse and children to care for. You have access through a casual friend to several Maltese, a couple of Poodles, and a Yorkshire Terrier. All are intact and in fact, the girls are already in heat. They%26#039;re a real steal- but they don%26#039;t have papers, only minimal shots, and your acquaintence laughs when you ask about soundness testing. Do you snatch these dogs up and breed them? The holidays will be here sooner than you realize and %26quot;Designer Puppies%26quot; would be great sellers. You could probably make enough to pay the bills for a few months AND put gifts under the tree.



Do you do it?



Why or why not? As usual, thanks for the input- every opinion counts- I don%26#039;t delete or report what I don%26#039;t agree with...



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No I wouldn%26#039;t.



I live in Canada, so...



If I have been working with that great job for a year or more, then I%26#039;d just apply for Employment Insurance (EI), or I%26#039;d just go on welfare for a while. I%26#039;d make crafts, quits, and other homemade stuff, and sell them at the annual Christmas bizzare. The tables at the bizzare don%26#039;t cost that much, and I%26#039;d probably sell all my stuff and make more money that way than I would with selling those puppies.



I have never been in this situation, but I have seen families in my town be in the same situation that you just described.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I wouldn%26#039;t do it. I wouldn%26#039;t feel right about using an animal for my own gain and if the animals ended up without homes it would be my fault adding to the number of animals already being forced to get euthanized. It%26#039;s not worth it to me.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No, I wouldn%26#039;t. I think I would make money by selling my own kidney before I would use the lives of innocent animals just to make a buck. Done correctly, I have no issue with breeding, but when done correctly, it is hard to make money, and even harder to do right when you don%26#039;t have money to begin with to buy proper breeding stock.



No, I can say I would not do it. I have been in the position several times where I could have used the money, but I would NEVER risk the lives of my dogs. I would go hungry first.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Hello,



as much as I appreciate your %26quot;question%26quot;, isn%26#039;t it against Yahoo guidelines to say %26quot;laid%26quot; here?



Please, remember the children!!!!!!!



P.S. And no, I wouldn%26#039;t :)



Late Entry : neg raters :))) what the world would be like without scumbags like you?? :)))



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No, you don%26#039;t %26quot;snatch them and breed them%26quot;. You look for a new job. And in the mean time, tell your friend to have the dogs spayed and neutered. It%26#039;s not fair that you would bring, poorly bred, mixed mutts into the world, just because you have fallen on hard times. When there are many other ways to get money.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I%26#039;ve been there. If it wasn%26#039;t for my family, I would have lost my house. I had 8 dogs living with me at the time.



Oddly enough, part of my money-saving solution at the time was to put off breeding a litter until I could afford it.



I know people who do what you%26#039;ve described rather than actually working a *real* job. Making money off the superficial, herd-following mentality of others -- I guess that would be allright (just ask Britney Spears!) if the lives of other living creatures weren%26#039;t involved.



So, no. I don%26#039;t do it. If the sour taste of vomit in my mouth at the very thought wasn%26#039;t enough to convince me, I%26#039;d just go take a walk through a shelter.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

nope.. I would go find a job at walmart or McDonald%26#039;s.. it may not be a %26quot;great%26quot; job, but its a job. Or I would find some other way to supplement my income.. find something to make that people want.



Puppies can cost money.. a cecarian can easily cost $1000-2000, so that plan isnt a good one anyways... Depending on the time of year, and when the females come into season, you may not necissarily have pups ready in time for Christmas either.. like right now.. if you bred your dog now, it would be having pups shortly after Christmas.. they wouldnt even be ready to go in time for Valentines.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Purely as a practical matter, it wouldn%26#039;t fly.



First off, even if all of the b*tches are in season right this minute, they won%26#039;t HAVE the puppies until after Christmas, and won%26#039;t be ready to go until February (if I sell them early at 6 weeks). Even if I%26#039;m skimping on care, medical and food, I still have to feed these suckers until then. Plus pay for the purchase of these dogs. By the time I actually get a profit out of them, I%26#039;m sure I could find a real job instead.



Personally, I%26#039;d rather take ANY job than sink so low.



And to echo Loki, the reason I haven%26#039;t had a litter in 3 years is because things are tight financially.



EDIT: Still no good, you%26#039;re looking at 4 months before you get any money out of them, in the meantime they%26#039;re costing you money. You could starve/lose your house/whatever by then.



Even if cutting corners and not doing it right, breeding dogs requires some outlay.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Sure, it%26#039;d be a quick way to make a few bucks, but what happens when people start demanding refunds/registering complaints when your puppies turn out to be c**p stock? Not only that, but I just couldn%26#039;t live with myself if I contributed to the pet overpopulation, especially with poorly-bred dogs. The dogs may also become more of a cost than a profit...we all know how expensive breeding dogs is, and they may be unhealthy (as evidenced by minimal shots, etc....). Interesting question, but I%26#039;d have to say a big NO!



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Personally, I wouldn%26#039;t do it. Do you know anything about breeding? Also, caring for the dogs will be a major expense. Don%26#039;t be a mini puppy mill.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I%26#039;m confused. All I ever see from people in YA Dogs is %26quot;why isn%26#039;t your dog fixed%26quot; and %26quot;you are a horrible dog owner for letting your dog get pregnant%26quot;, etc. I mean, I know you probably breed dogs a lot, but aren%26#039;t %26quot;Designer Puppies%26quot; the same as mutts? I would see how it would be financially beneficial to that person...but it seems a little hypocritical to me. (I%26#039;m not trying to be mean or anything, just a little confused)



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Take it one step further and imagine we were in conditions similar to The Great Depression. People going door to door just to get a meal. People traveling the rails across the country just to find a bit of work. Entire families packing their belongings on the car and moving out because there%26#039;s nothing there.



I don%26#039;t have kids, but if I did... I think taking care of your human children needs to be your top priority.



No, I wouldn%26#039;t breed mutts (or poor-quality purebreds) just to make a quick buck, but if I were really desperate just to put food in my family%26#039;s mouth... I can%26#039;t say what I%26#039;d do. I certainly won%26#039;t promise here that I wouldn%26#039;t breed mutts.



But I don%26#039;t see that ANYONE today in an advanced country (probably not the right term, I mean America, Canada, England, Australia, etc.) is so starved or parched for money that they need to breed sickly mutts to finagle a few bucks out of naive buyers. There are government and social programs to help and there%26#039;s plenty of legitimate work out there if you%26#039;re willing to take it.



But then again, people likely wouldn%26#039;t be buying mutts if we were in another Great Depression.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

absolutely not!! if things were that bad, i dont care what the economy is like, mcdonalds is always hiring. my morals will always win especially in this situation.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Me, no but I%26#039;m sure many would. When I was an active real estate broker I once had a buyer tell me he didn%26#039;t need to escrow for property taxes, cause he would just breed his rotties in time to cover the tax bill. Did you see the post the other day about the %26quot;shorkies%26quot;? She had a link to a shorkie site (gosh I feel stupid even typing that name) that boldly proclaimed they were not a kennel- in fact they had written the %26quot;breed standard%26quot; for this non breed- I scrolled through their available puppy listings, they had 5 litters in the last 5 months- pretty prolific for a %26quot;non kennel%26quot; and at 1750-2500 each, quite the little profit center! After recently visiting our county animal shelter, which is trying really hard to be a no kill shelter but busting at the seams, I personally would really have to think long and hard about breeding my boy even once he finishes.....



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I won%26#039;t breed and never have. I won%26#039;t take on the responsibility. I%26#039;m not degrading breeding because it%26#039;s a ton of work, knowledge and responsibility. I would get a minimum pay job if that%26#039;s what it end up being.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Well if you must know I hate puppies. I only do it to save their lives I wouldn%26#039;t put myself through that on purpose.



However; I will take any and all the dogs they are getting rid of and take them through the program and find them appropriate homes spayed/neutered, testing shots microchipped. You know the drill.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Morals always win.



No, I wouldn%26#039;t do it. Even if I had excellent breeding stock and was a knowledgeable, experienced breeder, I%26#039;d have serious problems with selling dogs around Christmas time. If the dogs aren%26#039;t breeding quality I wouldn%26#039;t breed them at all. I would definitely not breed potential Christmas presents, as they%26#039;d probably end up homeless once the families lose interest.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No, I will not.



Would you sell your kids for money? I would sell my house, my cars but not to breed my dogs. This has nothing to do with Morals, I just can not use my dogs as tool to make money.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No, you don%26#039;t snatch them up and breed them.. You don%26#039;t breed mixed breed dogs on purpose for any reason at all.. There are TONS of other ways to make money that are far better than producing mixed breed dogs on purpose.. I would rather work at McDonald%26#039;s than to do something like breeding mixed breed dogs.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

The cost of breeding the puppies would outweigh your %26quot;profit%26quot; . Take into account you would need vet/health care for the dam, high quality food for expectant mother, once puppies arrive, could be a large litter- then the costs triple or quadruple because of Vet costs, all of them require first round of shots, etc. Then if you cannot sell the puppies after the 8 weeks, then you have more mouths to feed. Also raising puppies takes alot of time, commitment, money and experience.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Nope.



In the ever present battle of morals vs. money, morals wins every time for me. I need to sleep at night and I have to live with myself.



;)



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No, because I%26#039;d still have to live with myself afterwards, and making your living off the backs of pet-quality dogs and ignorant buyers is just wrong, when millions die every year because there aren%26#039;t enough homes. It%26#039;s also in conflict with my religious beliefs, because such careless breeding would not only harm the buyers, but also the bred dogs, the puppies, and the dogs who will die because of my contribution to the overpopulation problem.



If I%26#039;m not willing to pimp myself out (I could easily get pregnant and offer the baby up for adoption - I%26#039;m healthy and there are lots of couples out there who would want a baby) then I shouldn%26#039;t be willing to pimp out dogs.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No, I would not. It%26#039;s not cheap to even care for extra dogs, never mind breeding and paying extra vet bills. Just my opinion.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I would like to say I wouldn%26#039;t. I have never came across a test like that.I guess doing some rescue work, I know it is not as easy to sell pups as one thinks. Let me rephrase that, the owner sell them and the people buy them on impulse and then they are in rescue. The %26quot;designer%26quot; pups are not as easy to re-home at that point.



If it came down to my children starving or not, I just don%26#039;t know, I guess I exhaust all government programs first, try friends, and luckily for me I have a great family.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

Howldine - I am crying I%26#039;m laughing so hard! I love you my friend. What a wonderful question - and for you, of all people to come up with it. Oh the irony of ironies.



Sure, do it. Why not? If you have an absolutely iron clad contract stating the pups come back to you if they no longer want them..... lmao....(this is called HUMOR or sarcasm if you don%26#039;t know me)



But I know you my dear, you%26#039;d rather sell your soul first so I know you%26#039;d never do it.



When I was laid off a couple of years ago, the first thing I did was head to New Orleans for a week%26#039;s %26quot;vacation%26quot; after Katrina. Then I came back and looked for a job. My fiancee wanted to kill me.



When HE was laid off before that(for 9 months), he worked at Lowes while looking for a job and I supported us both. So he owed me my %26quot;vacation%26quot; in New Orleans.



I love you Howldine. You know that don%26#039;t you? You know where I am....



EDIT:



I do have an interesting thought....



What if you BRED the little monsters and used the proceeds of this doggie goldmine to start or fund a shelter? I mean, they%26#039;d be taking one for the team? If you still had the iron clad contract and all?



Sell them for tons of money and you used the money, not for yourself (except for a small fee to eat and keep yourself out of debtors prison) but to open a no-kill shelter for other homeless mutts? Would that make it ok? =)



I didn%26#039;t think so, either. But you have to admit it was a good thought.



EDIT2 - LOOK at all those thumbs down. Apparently the the part where I said this was humor and sarcasm was missed. I love it when people can%26#039;t read. OR maybe these are my thumbs down faries... could it be? Hark, in the distance, I hear the piter-pater of tiny feet, I mean, cloven hooves....



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I%26#039;d go find another job, even if it didn%26#039;t pay much. Raising puppies are a big expense , not to mention possible c-sections. You%26#039;d still have to feed the dogs til their puppies are weaned , then the possibity of having to refund money due to genetic defects.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No. I have to live with myself as well as how I raise pups... the price of feeding them and caring for them correctly costs $$$$... and there is no real promise of even breaking even.



I%26#039;ve nearly quit breeding because if I cannot do it right, I%26#039;d rather not do it at all.



Right now I%26#039;m in a dither because I have to breed a b*tch I wasn%26#039;t planning on breeding for another year. She%26#039;s been successfully treated for a case of pyometria but HAS to be bred her next season ... and I won%26#039;t be ready to train another Service Dog for at least a year... so despite the fact that her pups will be sold for $1800-$2000 each and I might actually make money this time if everything goes well ( big if!!!) I STILL am only breeding her because I have to... mostly in the hopes that she%26#039;ll still be intact and breedable in 18 mos or 2 years when I am ready to train another Service Dog. ( She has good genetics, rare bloodline, superb working temperament, beautiful structure and produces really phenomenal working dogs.. so I%26#039;d rather not just spay her)



Most money I ever made on a litter was 19 cents an hour... I can pick up soda cans alongside the road and make more than that.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

No.



I don%26#039;t agree with the statement %26quot;no work in sight%26quot;. YES THERE IS!! It might be unpleasant work, but there are ALWAYS jobs available.



Call centres, fast food outlets etc are always recruiting.



It%26#039;s possibly also worth mentioning that I make a point of borrowing as little as possible. My mortgage is the only debt I currently have. Cars are bought with the money I have in my bank account (I drive a cheap car!!).



BTW - It%26#039;s easier to find work if you are already in a job than if you are on the dole. Get a crappy job THEN start applying for better ones (whether you are desperate or not).



I%26#039;ve been unemployed. If you are not fussy, you CAN find work. ANY job would be better than raping my conscience AND setting an appalling example to my child.



Whilst I can put food on the table, I%26#039;m not poor.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

I wouldn%26#039;t do it. If I were that hard up why would I put myself in a position to possibly have to pay out for c-sections and more by breeding? I would worry about the mouths I already had to feed without taking on more.



There are plenty of jobs around if people really want them. Even if it is minimum wage it%26#039;s better than nothing. I have worked more than one job at one point I was working 2 minimum wage full time jobs as well as having kids. I had no other option, in the past to help make ends meet. If the case came up again I could and would do it again.



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

NO WAY!!! McDonald%26#039;s is always hiring, along with a multitude of other restaurant type places! There%26#039;s simply no excuse not to have some kind of a job.



What scares me is that there really ARE people in this world who do just this. Why get a job when you can have a house full of little ATM machines just hanging around breeding at will?



Morals VS Money...You%26#039;ve just been laid off...?

no dont do you would not like if it was your pet stolen,and what would your kids think if that was there dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive