Thursday, June 17, 2010

Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

Two neighbors recently told me they had 2 calls each from a creditor wanting to know where I was. One had an unlisted number. This creditor is demanding full payment and said theyd sue me if I didnt pay them 4200. They gave me 4 hours to pay the debt and said I must postdate a check. They are a legal company, though I couldnt get a reportfrom the bbb.



I feel bullied to the point where I cant sleep. They wanted me to reopen a line of credit to pay them. They dont care about me or that that would make my credit worse. I really do want to get back on my feet. I dont want to file bankrupcy over a few thousand dollars I have every intention of paying as quickly as possible. MY husband lost his job, and my job doesnt pay well. I am looking for a better job and working as many hours as I can. I am trying to make things right.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

On top of FredHH%26#039;s suggestion



You can charge them money for writing letters, making phone calls, appearing for appointments, virtually anything that takes your time.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

Creditors are scum of the earth. I know of cases where they threatened with all kinds of illegal sanctions. Basically they do whatever they can to harass you into folding into their will.



It is the last refuge of the true bully to do something legally that should be against the law.



Then there are some bad points about them also.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

Have you already explained to them your situation? Do they still harrass you for the full amount, even though they know that you can%26#039;t pay? Fine, let them sue you. Let them bring it before a judge, who will likely require that you pay what you owe, but no more than what you can afford each month.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

Your neighbors can file a complaint about the creditors harrassing them.



Next call the creditor makes to them thier only appropriate response is: (record the call and get caller ID info)



Get the calling party to state name and position.



THEN say the call is being recorded.



Then say:



We are not the ones who owe the debt. Do not call here again. If you do call again we will charge you $50 for calling and $50 a minute. that you are on the line.



Goodbye.



Click



If they get more calls... they take the harrassing party to small claims court and get paid.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

I think this can help you out. You have many more rights, and they (the creditors) have far fewer then they would lead you to believe.



http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/sear...



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

It is against the law to bullie you. You can report them to the BBB and i would tell them that too. Say listen I know I owe you money but calling me so much is harassment and if you don%26#039;t stop I,m gonna report you and giving you only 4 hours to pay sounds fishy if you ask me. I would talk to them explain your situation and work out some sort of payment plan. As long as you are willing to pay them they will work something out with you. If you keep avoiding them it will just make it worst. trust me bin there done that.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

The answer to your question is no they legally can%26#039;t harrass you or your neighbors (especially). The next time you talk to them, tell them they are not to harrass you or others. Document everything, including the dates that they went to your neighbors. Record the conversations if that is legal in your state. You can have a free consultation with an attorney if you need the legal manuevers that you can do, with or without their assistance, or contact the bbb to see what they suggest you do from here and to report them. Do not open a line of credit to pay them back either. Send them a check for an amount that you can pay, if they cash it, they are accepting a payment agreement. They do not care what your situation is so don%26#039;t expect them to. Tell them not to contact you, your work, or your neighbors, whether on the phone or through a letter, which you keep a copy of, send it certified so that you have proof of its delivery. The worst that will happen is they will take you to court (small claims depending on your state), at which point you can state your side of the story, plus have your neighbors as witnesses along with your other documentation, and what you can afford to pay %26amp; when. If you have access to some a lump sum of money, you can also ask them to settle for less.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

If you owe the money you should try to make arrangements to pay back what you owe or they will continue to harass you. there are some collections laws that are supposed to protect to. It is up to your neighbors to ask them to stop calling their homes and it is up to you to communicate with the collection agency in ordder for them to stop harassing you.



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

you sound like you want to pay them. My suggetion is that you contact a credit counseling agency (most cities have them free) and explain your situation and they will act as a mediator between you and the creditor. What happens from this is when they know that there is a state, city, or federal agency involved they stop with the cut throat tactics. Good luck



Can a creditor legally harrass my neighbors?

I used to do collections ages ago and hated how I had to be to people so I quit. they make their living by being aggressive. calm down. they can call neighbors and employers etc but can never disclose WHY they are trying to find you. they can ask a neighbor to put a note on your door even! they cannot ask for a post dated check. it%26#039;s not legal. check the fair debt collection practices act (fdcpa) and the collection laws for your state. if they call you and you dont want it write a cease and decist letter. then you cna sue them if they call. chances are they have bought your debt from the original creditor and will just sell the debt to another when they have beat it down. if you take the calls, they will put a %26quot;manager%26quot; on the phone to pound you harder if their technique isnt working. they are weasels and cannot do much to you except report you to the credit bureaus. gee that%26#039;s already been done by the creditor. haha on them.



or



tell them they have the wrong number. tell them you just got the number yesterday and have been getting tons of calls for that girl. tell them youre sorry and wish you could help. tell your neighbors to tel lthem you moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive