Saturday, June 19, 2010

I did not get a clear answer to my question, please let me word it different.?

I owe 25 thousand dollars in credit cards.



I閳ユ獡 55 and about to get laid off and due to health reasons don閳ユ獩 plan to work again.



My question. What happens if I STOP paying my credit cards?



I don閳ユ獩 have savings, home or car; can the credit card companies come after my 401k which has more than enough to pay off debts. Can they come after my social security checks?



Again, I plan to tell my credit card companies to go jump in a lake, I閳ユ┇ NOT GOING TO PAY THEM! Can they throw me in jail???



I could not care less what happens to my credit history since I might to be dead soon.



All I want to do is spend my last remaining years enjoying my hard earned 401k money.



How could they get me??



I did not get a clear answer to my question, please let me word it different.?

What they can do is go to court and get a judgment against you. That judgment can be used to seize any assets you have and/or used to file liens against a home or other property you may own. But my understanding is that 401k funds cannot be seized to satisfy a judgment... however, that may vary depending on your state laws so please consult an attorney to be sure. You may find that the money in the 401k is exempt, but any withdrawals you make can be seized since they are no longer in the 401k. I don%26#039;t think they can take your Social Security checks either.



A judgment has a life of 5-10 years in most states but can be renewed. Whether a bank will go to court probably depends on how much you owe them. For example, if you owe 50 different banks $500 each, it might turn out that none of them will bother. If you owe one bank all $25,000, they are sure to go to court.



I do not believe they can put you in jail no matter what. Again, in your case it%26#039;s important to clearly understand what could or could not be done so please talk with a lawyer to know where you stand. It would be worth it just for the peace of mind.



I did not get a clear answer to my question, please let me word it different.?

They will probably sue you...and come after what little you do have.



Having spent their money, I don%26#039;t understand why you refuse to pay them. Try consolidating so you can make payments, and contact them regarding your employment difficulties, you can probably work something out. You may have to go bankrupt if you can find no alternatives here... my parents-in-law just did to get out of their debt.



I did not get a clear answer to my question, please let me word it different.?

They can come after any assets you have. They can (and will) set the collections agencies after you. They will go after your estate after you die.



You%26#039;re 55 so you may have to continue to work unless you get on the dole early.



You are so right, who cares about what happens to your credit rating. It%26#039;s the rest of us poor slobs who have to make up the difference and pay off your bills as well as support you because you aren%26#039;t working.



IMHO people have to have the moral integrity to pay what they legally owe. You borrowed the money in good faith so you should pay it back.



I%26#039;m sure you%26#039;ll enjoy getting the collections calls and letters every day. I%26#039;m sure your family will enjoy getting the calls of collections looking for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive